Monday, January 24, 2011

Adding Insult to Injury

I'm kinda wondering what Jerry Jones must be feeling right now--total elation that he is about to host Super Bowl XLV at his house, Cowboys Stadium, mixed with absolute bewilderment about who it is that is coming to dinner. Not only the Green Bay Packers but also the Pittsburgh Steelers!

Any bona fide Dallas Cowboys fan, and I've been one all my life (we're both celebrating 50 years of existence), has to feel Jerry's pain. Some Johnny-come-latelies might not realize the irony, offering some solace as "Well, at least it's not the Redskins or Giants," but ol' timers, like me, remember the agony of losing the 1967 NFL Championship to Vince Lombardi and Bart Starr in the Ice Bowl and the nauseating defeats to Terry Bradshaw and his Steelers in Super Bowl's X ('76) and XIII ('79).

Now, in the year that Dallas fans started the season hoping against hope the Cowboys would play for a Super Bowl Championship in their own brand-new stadium, the Cowboys ended up being rather hopeless, and two of their arch enemies will vie for the title instead. And, one of them will be standing on the Star at midfield when handed, that's right, the Vince Lombardi Trophy.

That's adding insult to injury. I'm not sure I can watch.

1 comment:

Mike Tayloe said...

Maybe just watch the commercials. Just sayin.....